Friday, February 19, 2010

Kaylee's Surgery

Well this post, much like the others, is a bit late. Kaylee had her tonsils and adenoids removed on Friday 2/12. The night before she drew an adorable picture of what she thought would happen and wrote "I love surgery it is so much fun." Of course now that I am looking for the picture, I can't find it but when I do, I'll try and post it.

She was told no eating or drinking after midnight prior to surgery and we were scheduled to check in at 9am. She woke up at 6am. She cried and cried because she was hungry. I prayed. I didn't know what else to do. She was hysterical because she was so hungry and she just wanted to eat. And I felt helpless. No sooner than I lifted my head, the phone rang. It was the surgery center saying there was a cancellation and asked if we could be there in 45 minutes. THANK THE LORD. What an amazing answered prayer. Kaylee would still be hungry but we would be on our way and out the door within minutes.

She was in such a good mood before the surgery. They had her change and gave her a cute "hat" and "shoes" to wear. She was very giggly and telling jokes the the staff. Here she is before surgery ...

Ready to be brave with her Hello Kitty blanket and stuffed animal
Here she is with her "hat" and "shoes" giggling awayWalking back to surgery

The surgery only took about 45 minutes. The surgeon said she did great and that we could see her in about an hour when she woke up ... when we went back she was no longer the giggly little girl happy and excited about surgery. She was miserable. She wouldn't drink. The nurses said she needed to drink at least 6oz of water or eat her popsicle before she could leave. 2 hours later, she had maybe only 2oz in her. They let her leave but cautioned me to call them or take her to ER if she didn't start drinking.

Her tonsils
After surgery .... and miserable.

This last week has been tough. We've had our ups and our downs but I know that this will be something that will help her so much in the future. We have one more week of recovery.


1 comment:

  1. So sad to see Kaylee like that! I hope she has a good speedy recovery! What a trooper!

    ReplyDelete